Premium Civil Service course at just ₹99/-. Know more.
Articles of the Constitution of India
Formation of new States and alteration of areas, boundaries or names of existing States
Jan 25, 2023
1 min read
Article 3 - Formation of new States and alteration of areas, boundaries or names of existing States
1. Parliament has the power to form new states, increase or decrease the area of existing states, alter the boundaries or names of existing states
2. A bill for this purpose can only be introduced in Parliament with the recommendation of the President
3. If the proposal affects the area, boundaries, or name of any state, the bill must be referred to the legislature of that state for their views before it can be introduced in Parliament
4. The power to form new states includes the power to form new union territories by uniting parts of existing states or union territories
5. The term "state" in this article includes union territories, but the proviso does not.
Free daily current affairs quiz.
Take this test daily to improve your prelims accuracy.
More on iasindepth