Current Affairs 2023
The Solomon Islands offer a unique cultural experience and natural beauty with pristine beaches, turquoise waters, and friendly locals. The Solomon Islands, located in the South Pacific, is an archipelago consisting of nearly 1,000 islands. China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) wins a $170m contract to develop a port in the Solomon Islands, giving Beijing a strategic foothold in the South Pacific.
Mar 23, 2023
3 min read
The Solomon Islands, located in the South Pacific, is an archipelago consisting of nearly 1,000 islands. This stunning destination is often overlooked by travelers, but those who do visit are rewarded with pristine beaches, turquoise waters, and a unique cultural experience.
The Solomon Islands were named after King Solomon, who is said to have obtained gold from the region. Today, the islands are known for their natural beauty and rich cultural heritage. The people of the Solomon Islands are predominantly Melanesian, with a mix of Polynesian and Micronesian influences. The locals are known for their friendly hospitality and welcoming nature.
One of the highlights of visiting the Solomon Islands is the opportunity to experience traditional island culture. Visitors can witness the locals' daily life, participate in cultural events, and even stay in traditional village accommodations. The islands also have a rich history, including significant involvement in World War II. History buffs can explore numerous sites, including the Japanese War Memorial on Guadalcanal and the Vilu War Museum on the island of New Georgia.
The natural beauty of the Solomon Islands is breathtaking. The islands are surrounded by coral reefs, making them a perfect destination for snorkeling and scuba diving. Divers can explore sunken ships, underwater caves, and a variety of marine life, including dolphins, sharks, and turtles. The islands are also home to several active volcanoes, making for a unique hiking experience. The Marovo Lagoon, located on the island of New Georgia, is the world's largest saltwater lagoon and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Visitors to the Solomon Islands can also indulge in delicious cuisine, influenced by a mix of Melanesian, Polynesian, and European flavors. Fresh seafood, including fish, lobster, and crab, is a staple of the local diet. Visitors can also try traditional dishes, such as kokoda, a dish made from raw fish marinated in lime juice and coconut cream.
In News : China boosts South Pacific influence with Solomons port deal - The Hindu dated 22 March 2023
1. China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) wins a $170m contract to develop a port in the Solomon Islands, giving Beijing a strategic foothold in the South Pacific.
2. The Solomon Islands signed a secret security pact with China in 2022, leading to a diplomatic tussle between China and the US.
3. Major infrastructure projects in the Solomon Islands are increasingly dependent on Chinese investment, such as the upcoming Pacific Games stadium.
4. CCECC previously won a $7m contract to build a new terminal at Munda International Airport in the Western Province.
5. CCECC is a state-backed company that has played an integral role in China's Belt and Road initiative, with contracts for infrastructure projects throughout Africa, the Middle East, and the Pacific.
More on iasindepth